A dedicated artist, Akil was born in 1988 in Syria. He graduated from the Faculty of Fine arts in Aleppo and currently lives in Beirut, Lebanon. His passion for Arabic calligraphy began at a young age, and to date he has held two solo exhibitions in Beirut: “Maqamat” and “Fi Hadrat Al-Harf” at Dar El-Nimer for Arts and Culture.
He has participated in several other exhibitions worldwide and his artworks can be found in private collections in Syria, Lebanon, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, USA, Austria and Ireland.
Akil’s art works are based on Arabic musical ‘Maqams’, which mean place or position, and converts them from their audio pattern to an optical pattern. He explains, “When I hear a voice inside me, I try to hold all these moments of ecstasy and invert them into a letter, a word, an optical language.” Akil searches for an optical modern language for the letter. He is also interested in researching ink compositions and natural paper manufacturing
In Dubai 2018, he was awarded the most prestigious Al-Burda Prize for Caligraphy, Akil also participated in Sharjah Biennial 2016 “Noqta” in addition to Bahrain Art 2015 and most recently Beirut Art Fair in 2017.
• Dar Al-Funoon gallery, Kuwait 2018 (The Forty Maqamat of Love)
• Solo Interactive exhibition Culture ”في حضرة الحرف” In the Presence of the Letter at Dar El-Nimer for Arts 9/2017
• Maqamat in souk althahab gallery – Soledir -Beirut -2017
• City Theatre, Nuha al-Radi Hall in Beirut, 2015.
• Participated in “Beirut Art Fair”, 2017_2018
• Participated in the Annual Exhibition in Damascus 2008- 2009 & 2010.
• Participated in Beirut art fair 2017
• International contemporary Beirut art fair in “Artheum” gallery, Beirut in 2014.
• Artistique Gallery Doha – Qatar
• The Sharjah Calligraphy Biennial, Sharjah United Arab Emirates 2014 -2016- 2018.
• “Art Space Hamra” Gallery, Beirut 2015
• “Art Fair, Bahrain” 2015.
• “Art on 56th” gallery Beirut Lebanon.
• Participated in several exhibitions in Aleppo University and the Arab Heritage Institute.
Awards and Prizes:
• First prize in the 15th year of the annual Global Burda award 2018
• Fifth prize award winner in Global Burda Award, 13th round, Dubai, 2016.